CHIN Guide to Museum Standards
Table of Contents
- Core Standards for Canadian Museums
- Metadata (Data Structure Standards)
- (to define the categories of data that make up a record)
- Vocabulary (Data Value Standards)
- (to govern the words or terms that can be used in a record, and how terms are related)
- Cataloguing Rules (Data Content Standards)
- (to determine the order, syntax and format for entering data values in a record)
- Interchange (Data Format Standards)
- (to define the machine-readable metadata standards that facilitate information exchange)
- Procedural Standards
- (to govern collections management procedures within the museum)
CHIN Guide to Museum Standards (PDF, 544 KB)
Contact information for this web page
This resource was published by the Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN). For comments or questions regarding this content, please contact CHIN directly. To find other online resources for museum professionals, visit the CHIN homepage or the Museology and conservation topic page on Canada.ca.
To access the PDF (Portable Document Format) version you must have a PDF reader installed. If you do not already have such a reader, there are numerous PDF readers available for free download or for purchase on the Internet:
To take advantage of PDF features:
- Save the PDF form on your computer;
- Open the file with your PDF reader;
- Complete the form; and
- Save it again once filled.
It is not recommended to open a PDF form within your browser. Some browsers use plugins by default to view the PDF which may not work properly with fillable PDF forms.
Please note that all saveable and fillable PDF forms posted on this Web site are created using Adobe® authoring tools. It is therefore recommended that you use the Adobe Reader®, version 9 or higher, for best results.
- Date modified: