Business Innovation – Canada Periodical Fund
The Business Innovation component of the Canada Periodical Fund (CPF) provides financial support to eligible small and mid-sized printed magazine and digital periodical publishers. This component of the CPF encourages innovation to adapt to changing market conditions and contributes to the diversity of content sought by Canadian readers.
Who can apply
To be eligible for funding, your publishing firm and any affiliated companies must:
- be in operation throughout the application process and until the completion of the project;
- be majority owned and controlled by Canadians;
- be private-sector entities, including corporations, not-for-profit organizations, partnerships and sole proprietorships (Note: Applicants under the Start-up pilot project should be intending to register their new business); and
- have their principal place of business in Canada.
Print magazines only:
- The total average circulation for all magazines published during the 12-month reporting period cannot exceed 100,000 copies per issue (singly or combined).
Digital periodicals only:
- If the applicant does not publish print magazines, the maximum total revenue for any digital periodicals cannot exceed $500,000 (as declared in the application form).
Full eligibility criteria for publications is detailed in the Application Guidelines.
Start-up pilot project
Business Innovation can provide up to $5,000 in start-up funding to help aspiring or emerging publishers and other creative entrepreneurs plan, launch or further develop a digital periodical. Eligibility criteria for the start-up pilot project are detailed in the Application Guidelines.
Applications will be accepted until September 15, or until all funding has been fully committed for the current Government of Canada fiscal year.
Applications should be received at least eight (8) weeks before the planned project start date.
How to apply
Applicants are required to:
- review the Application Guidelines carefully, including the definitions to ensure all criteria are met;
- complete the Application Form (PDF version, 338 KB);
- provide all supporting documents, as detailed in the Application Guidelines; and
- ensure that the application form bears the applicant’s original signature.
Contact usCanada Periodical Fund
Department of Canadian Heritage
25 Eddy Street, 25-8-U
- 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)
Project officers are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST).
Guides and help
- Application Guidelines
- Application Form (PDF version, 338 KB)
- List of recipients: 2014-2015 (PDF version, 96 KB)
- Guide on the public acknowledgement of financial support
- Service standards for Canadian Heritage funding programs
Information and additional services
To access the PDF (Portable Document Format) version you must have a PDF reader installed. If you do not already have such a reader, there are numerous PDF readers available for free download or for purchase on the Internet:
To take advantage of PDF features:
- Save the PDF form on your computer;
- Open the file with your PDF reader;
- Complete the form; and
- Save it again once filled.
It is not recommended to open a PDF form within your browser. Some browsers use plugins by default to view the PDF which may not work properly with fillable PDF forms.
Please note that all saveable and fillable PDF forms posted on this Web site are created using Adobe® authoring tools. It is therefore recommended that you use the Adobe Reader®, version 9 or higher, for best results.
- Date modified: